Lodge St. Andrew No 524
Although the Lodge was chartered in 1872 it is worth noting that Freemasonry first appeared in East Kilbride in 1738. Had there been no breaks in the chain, as Brethren, we would be looking at 276 years of Freemasonry in the village / town in the year 2014.
However, on the 5th August, 1872 the Lodge was chartered by the Grand Lodge of Scotland and given the number 524. Our two sponsor Lodges being Lodge Rutherglen Royal Arch No. 116 and Lodge St. John Busby No. 458. Freemasonry had once again been introduced into East Kilbride and continues till this day. The colour for the apron was registered as crimson. Aprons, sashes and jewels were ordered and our first recorded presentation was that of a dagger in 1873 which is still in use in the Lodge today.Visiting Brethren, as far back as 1872, were recorded as being from Strathaven, Busby and Glasgow.
The early years passed with great activity by the Brethren. Degree work was carried out with 1st, 2nd and 3rd degrees being carried out on the same evening. Visitations to Ayrshire, Cambuslang, Glasgow, Lanarkshire and of course, Renfrewshire East. Brethren attended consecrations, laying of foundation stones and divine services. These events took place as far afield as Glasgow and Greenock.
We are proud to have sponsored Lodge Blantyre Kilwinning No. 557 (1874) and in later years Lodges Eaglesham No. 1265 (1921), Douglas No.1557 (1959), Kil Bryd No. 1667 (1972) and McLaren No. 1688 (1974).
Assistance was also being given to worthy, needy Brethren and their dependants. Social events had also taken off.
In 1883 the first Past Master's jewel was presented to Bro. J. King. Unfortunately the Lodge was struggling to stay afloat with low attendances, a dearth of candidates and finances unhealthy. However, in the three years (1887 - 89) the Lodge grew into a robust state.
In 1890 P.G.L. of Renfrewshire East held a successful Grand Masonic Bazaar in aid of Grand Lodge Benevolent Funds in which the brethren of "524" were involved. The Lodge's first Mark Ceremonial took place in 1891 and circulars for attendance at meetings were first issued in 1893. There is no minute to tell what took place at the Lodge's twenty-fifth year in 1897 but we hope that some commemoration took place of these busy and fruitful years.
At the start of the twentieth century Queen Victoria had died. P.G.L. had advised the Lodge that all minutes should be written into a fixed leaf book and that the loose leaf system be abandoned. How the wheel has turned.
In the Lodge's thirtieth year (1902) it was decided to start a building fund to provide our own hall. A two-day summer bazaar was held in 1904. This event, among others was successful and in 1907 the Lodge purchased land in Kittoch Street, the village. The hall was built and consecrated by P.G.L. on 9th April, 1910.